POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray 3.6 make error : Re: povray 3.6 make error Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:35:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.6 make error
From: Tim F
Date: 21 Jul 2004 15:45:00
Message: <web.40fec787a404e2e24e6ed3100@news.povray.org>
> Tim F wrote:
> >
> > ?  It is?  I don't know the problem I'm seeing is only relevant to the *nix
> > version of the source (since I have no other platforms to test on), and my
> > impression was that this was the reasoning for the wording of the FAQ.
>
> If you don't know the reason for the compile error you get it is quite
> unreasonable to assume this could be a bug in POV-Ray.

I think I understand now - if I'm not positive its a bug in POVRay itself
(since it may be related to some oddball compiler problem, although the
error message and my fiddling suggests otherwise), post it to
povray.<insert OS here>?  (I'm new to this newsgroup, if it isn't obvious)

FWIW, I should state that I've done many program builds and compiler/linker
tests in the past, and the fact that POVRay alone does not build strongly
suggests (IMHO) that the error lies in the POVRay source.  Further, the
error message suggested a problem with the inclusion of several header
files with the same name (as Thorsten pointed out).  Thus I did not
consider my assumption unreasonable at all.

> If such an error was caused by a problem in the POV-Ray source how do you
> imagine that the official POV-Ray binaries could have been built at all?

This is a rhetorical question - if there is an error in the POVRay source
such that the build fails, then its a bug.  Period.

Regards,
Tim